Well, if you didn’t hear, we extracted honey last weekend for the very first time here at the barry farm homefront! We really had no idea how much honey we would get. I’m here to tell you we were amazed & thankful as the honey kept flowing in the buckets! We got over 15 gallons. It took us a long time to get this point!
Man, what a journey beekeeping has been here in houston! Lost hives due to last summer’s drought, small hive beetles, which are prevalant here in the great south, and being rookies all added to our struggle with beekeeping. I can’t tell you the amount of time, money, hard work & sweat our family has put into bees with the hopes for extracting! Mostly geoffrey as he is the one who wears the bee suit in the family! :) and of course, spring/summertime is when the bees need the most attention and well, this is texas, folks! Its mad hot! he says there is another bee suit coming for me in the future as he learned the hard way he needed more help pulling the supers (full of honey). I’m ok with that…i think..
While geoffrey and i worked extracting on sunday afternoon and had rather sticky hands so, we let layla use my iphone for pictures & videos. She does such a good job at 8 years old.
Ready for the first frame!
The cappings cut off exposing the liquid gold!
Going into the extractor…
Coming out the extractor where it meets its first filter. We use the strainers you can find at a place like home depot. Painters use it over a 5 gallon bucket. It works great!
We then had a handy dandy stainles steel strainer we used after that. (thanks jay!)
All the cappings that had to cut off both sides of the frame were put inside a tote that had the bottom cut out with a strainer over it. There is honey is those cappings and we let it sit overnight over another tote. Boy, did we get a lot of
honey from them. Partly due to big chunks of honey comb like pictured below…instead of trying to uncap we just scraped it off and enjoyed eating some! Crushing was the last step. Then we just let it drain.
See they way they built out the comb (pictured above)? That’s the way they built the comb on all our plastic frames. A bee expert told geoffrey one time she didn’t like his plastic frames. She said the bees didn’t either. Well, she was right! Thankfully after that we switched to the wax frames and we found the comb was near perfect on all those frames. Lesson learned.
The honey has been since jarred and is waiting labels & pricing. If you are interested in purchasing some, stay tuned and we will post here when its ready.
Here are some other photos that layla took that are sure to make you smile and crack up!
Now, unfortunately when i went to the farm to do chores on monday morning (2 days after geoffrey took the honey), i found this…
This is definately not what we wanted to see! Sigh…we sure hope they get it figured out. We aren’t really sure why they did this. I’m afraid one of the hives swarmed and left which is so rough on us as we again lost a hive. Praying the other hive doesn’t do the same. But, we press on and move ahead and don’t give up!
We are enjoying the sweetness of geoffrey’s beekeeping labor. The day after we extracted honey i made my gramma’s homemade biscuits and we ate them warm out of the oven with butter and barry farm honey! Yummmo!